Sunday, February 12, 2006

I underestimated my genius

So my challenge for the Knitting Olympics was to knit something by following a pattern. I figured that it would be tough to decipher all the jargon found in a knitting pattern. I figured I would add an even bigger challenge of learning how to knit Continental style. I heard it was a faster process. For my project, I chose to knit a baby sweater from Debbie Bliss' baby knits for beginners. I was worried about being able to finish my project within the 16 day timeframe especially trying to knit in a completely foreign way. It felt like I was learning to knit for the first time.

I cast on Friday evening... It took a little while to get my fingers used to holding the needles differently and had some trouble keeping the tension consistent but started to get comfortable within the rhythm of the continental style. I finished the front of the sweater on Saturday morning. The back on Saturday and the both sleeves this morning. It's now Sunday aft and I am finished...




I have to pick something else to knit for the next 14 days. I never realized how much faster Continental knitting was, and I guess I didn't think about the fact that babies are REALLY small! I never thought it would be done so quickly! Now what do I do?!

I underestimated my ability to learn and overestimated the actual size of babies... So tonight I will go through my knitting books and try to find another pattern that's a bit more difficult.

1 comment:

Marian said...

Well, my dear, it's time to get on the bandwagon of "Nuala is great!" I know it, pk knows it, your family knows it, your friends know it - it's time you GOT it! :)

Thanks for being a GREAT addition to our family!
Love, Marian