Saturday, January 28, 2006

It's official. I've joined the Knitting Olympics!

After weeks of debate between me, myself, and I, I've decided to join the Knitting Olympics.
We have to knit something challenging between the time the Olympic torch is lit to the time it is put out. 16 days. I've decided my challenge will be to knit something by following a pattern. I've been knitting for years now but have never been able to read a pattern. Everything I've made I've just sort of held up to other projects to make sure I've got the right size etc and just made stuff up as I go along. It's fine if I'm making something just off the top of my head though if I have to make two of something, like say the sleeves of a sweater or the second side to a pair of mittens, I have to go from memory and try to replicate it. Sometimes I'll see a nice sweater with some intricate cabling or something and wish I could be able to just follow the pattern and make it. So these 16 days will force me to learn and figure out all this pattern stuff.

Lack of knowledge about patterns hasn't kept me from knitting up a storm this past week though. Last Sunday I woke up with the idea that it'd be great to know how to knit socks. So I grabbed my laptop (from beside the bed) and searched for online videos that would maybe give me a glimpse into how to turn a feckin heel. That's the one thing that's stopped me from making socks... cuz that would mean having to learn how to read a pattern. I finally found some helpful pics and videos on socks and I grabbed some yarn and needles (also readily available beside my bed) and started knitting. I spent the morning in bed knitting my first sock and by the afternoon I had completed my very first sock! YAY!


And it fit!! If I had known that turning a heel would be so feckin easy, I'd have a drawer full by now... and so would pk too :) The sock no longer exists in the physical realm though as I ripped it out shortly after taking the pics of it because i didn't like how I hadn't kept the stitches tight enough along the one side when I picked up the heal so there were a few gaps that showed up when I was actually wearing the sock.
I picked up some blank totebags the other day at Michaels and today I finished knitting a cover for one. I'm going to give it to a co-worker of mine who comes over to my desk without asking and gives the most wonderful shoulder massages. Since I'm not the best masseuse, I thought I'd give her something I am good at...


For those of you officially bored to death with the above knitting blabber, don't pass out yet... I have non-knitting related updates for you too.
The sun came out this afternoon, and not wanting to waste such a rare sight by sitting inside, pk and I decided to jump in the car and see where the road took us. Explore our still new 'hood. We drove down our street as far as it would take us then when that ended, we turned up the next street and followed it to the very end. It took us all the way over to a fantastic park very close to Horseshoe Bay. Whytefield Park I think it was called. Here are a few pics from our drive.




A few weeks ago, pk and I joined a few of our co-workers on a drive up to Squamish to see the eagles. On the drive there, we stopped off at a wonderful waterfall (Shannon Falls me thinks). Once we arrived in Squamish, it was a bit too late to see the eagles as most of them feed in the morning, but I did get to see a few. It was pouring rain so I wasn't able to get any good shots of them though. I'm sure they were all somewhere warm and dry laughing their beaks off as they watched a bunch of crazy humans standing in the rain with binoculars.


Time for bed.

No comments: