Sunday, October 30, 2005

In celebration of Halloween...

I thought I'd revisit the days of my childhood where I would wake up early on Saturday mornings, sneak downstairs, turn on the tellie and settle down for a good hour of The Hilarious House of Frightenstein! It is my favourite children's show of all time. Sadly, most of the people I know don't seem to recall it at all.

To this day I still have memories of the psychedelic Wolfman who introduced me to the great rock of the '70's, Grizelda the Ghastly Gourmet who turned me off of cooking, The Librarian who read me haunting fables and nursery rhymes, and The Professor who introduced me to everything from Newton's Law of Motion to the conservation of angular momentum. And then there was the wonderfully creepy poetry read by Vincent Price when he introduced each sketch. What's not to love in a show like this?

The show began in 1971 and ran and reran for the next 25 years. It last appeared on Showcase in 1997. The original masters of the show were then destroyed (sniff). All that is left now are the shortened American versions on DVD... apparently complete with laughtracks (gasp! ick!).

Does anyone else remember this fantastic canadian children's show? I'd sure like to know! In celebration of all things creepy, take a trip back to the '70's and check out the chilling, yet hilarious characters (most of them all played by one man, Billy Van) and hope that one day they'll have another show like this for children of this decade... hey, it can't be that bad right? I turned out ok......
mwa mwa mwa mwa mwa!

no;)

No comments: